Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Digital Blog Post #H

Three Concepts to Reflect

Chapter 10, "Promoting Success for All Students through Technology", explains the significance incorporating the individual needs of every student in a classroom. Being that this is a  very important aspect to me as a teacher, I found this chapter informative and insightful. To began the chapter, the term multicultural education is "used to describe how teachers go about 'affirming' the expansive diversity of student interests, needs, and talents present in every school classroom" (Maloy, Verock-O'Laoghlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2014). It is a term of equal opportunity, along with modernizing itself to the diversity of society today. Multicultural education caught my attention because I feel that a child's acceptance and comfort in a classroom is a priority. I believe in creative curriculum that allows students to identify themselves and express themselves, regardless of different prejudice.

The term "differentiated instruction (DI)" also reminds me of creative curriculum. It is "an instructional approach in which teachers create different educational experiences as ways to meet the learning needs of individual students"  (Maloy, Verock-O'Laoghlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2014). An example of DI in my VPK classroom would be in science center, students use magnifying glasses, scales, magnets, and more to include diverse learning styles and enhance their learning. Some are visual enhancers while others are hands-on.

The third term this week that caught me eye was "speech recognition software" which "displays a person's spoken words as written text on a computer screen" (Maloy, Verock-O'Laoghlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2014). As being a witness of students who struggle with fine motor disabilities, I find software like this extremely helpful in the development of four and five year olds. As a teacher, I find it useful to decipher my students' work when they write certain letters or phrases.

Chapter 10 brought a lot of insightful information to me in which I learned how diversity is a term that keeps expanding. It is important to target diverse learning styles in the classroom so every students feels welcome to grasp the information. I hope to include multicultural education by expanding on my student's interests in the classroom and always being a welcoming teacher.

And for some creative expression of this chapter!
<iframe width="800" height="1979" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="overflow-y:hidden;" src="https://magic.piktochart.com/embed/8853998-untitled-infographic"></iframe>
https://magic.piktochart.com/output/8853998-untitled-infographic




References
Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment