Monday, November 16, 2015

Digital Blog Post #K

Three Concepts to Reflect

Chapter 6, "Fostering Online Learning with Educational Websites and Apps", explains how informational websites and bookmarking can be used to improved educational experiences for students. Information management, the first term that caught my eye, "is a business term generally used to describe how organizations and systems keep track of data for making decisions and setting policies" (Maloy, Verock-O'Laoghlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2014). Teachers can use online organizes to effectively improve the educational experience for students. I found this term interesting but I do not use any sort of online organizer and it is definitely something I would want to learn to use for my VPK class.

The second term I found interesting is e-newsletters. E-newsletters "appear for free in your email on a regular basis once you sign up to receive them" (Maloy, Verock-O'Laoghlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2014). Quite often I have signed up for newsletters from clothing stores or organizations and never found them useful until now. I recently started creating a newsletter for my class and asked the parents of my students to write down their emails so I can send out the newsletter. I found email a better use of communication to reach the parents.

The third term I found interesting was WebQuests which "are online inquiries for students that are designed and guided by teachers" (Maloy, Verock-O'Laoghlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2014). The term caught my eye because of the WebQuest I just created for this class. I tried to visualize as WebQuest as a visual map so my students feel guided from one activity to the next.

Overall, I thought chapter 6 was very inventive and eye-opening. I would like to include online organizers into my class and see how it effectively helps my students. I am curious to see how a WebQuest would work for preschool students but I think it is a great idea!

Below is a short quiz about the chapter.
http://flipquiz.me/u/amhunt15/eme-2040-blog

References
Hunt, A. (2015, November 16). EME 2040 Blog:. Retrieved November 16, 2015.

Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on your post - but do remember to embed your digital tool creations (i.e., FlipQuiz is embeddable via embed code placed in HTML tab). Good to see you are continuing to find applicable connections to your own classroom experiences. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete